Throughout our lifetime we will encounter many different experiences that affect us in many ways.
Were you exposed to something very frightening? Were you neglected or abused? Did you experience a significant loss? These can be traumatic experiences.
Trauma looks different for everyone but many adults will experience a traumatic event at least once in their lifetime.
How can trauma impact you?
When something is traumatic, our brains try to find ways to understand and navigate through the experience. Sometimes our brains will cope in ways where we will completely shut down and attempt to block out or forget the event completely. Trauma can also look like:
- Intrusive thoughts
- Frequent nightmares
- Feeling disconnected from your body both in the physical sense and mental sense
- Frequent mood swings
- Feelings of helplessness/worthlessness
- Feelings of depression
- Avoidance of people/places/things that remind you of the trauma
The counselors at CFCE aim to provide the best care to survivors of trauma through our therapeutic services. Every client deserves a chance to connect with a compassionate therapist, who will provide a safe space to understand your current or past circumstances so that you can build a brighter future for yourself.
Therapy can support you by:
- Teaching you tools to cope in healthier ways
- Helping improve your sense of self and belonging
- Teaching you the tools to regulate your emotions and tolerate difficult emotions that come up after the trauma.
- Decreasing the severity and frequency of the symptoms that you experience.
You took the first step by showing up here! Schedule your appointment today so that we can help you with feeling better and doing better because you deserve it.